Ya I think my ambivalence stems from the same thinking Josh points out. I'd
love to move us to package.json personally. I think all agreed last meeting
that was solving problems we don't really have.

And ultimately MANY downstreams are relying on both XML and namespaces so
removing them will have be a noisy MAJOR update sort of thing.