All the gory details of config files in CLI are here:
https://wiki.apache.org/cordova/config/cordova.xml

In short, that file is turned into a platform-specific config.xml during
the prepare step.

Your best approach to supporting this is probably to read config.xml in a
post-prepare hook. Then it will run during a "build" (build =
prepare+compile), or if you prepare and then use Xcode.

Braden