Sounds like we both agree that it doesn't work and adds a false sense of
security (to those that do opt into it) :P.

Maybe what we should do is redesign the whitelist to do something more
useful.

e.g. A whitelist that says what URLs you can navigate to is useful and easy
to implement. Let's just drop the trying to stop network requests aspect of
it?