Strange indeed. Good catch.

I checked in to this, and Jekyll appears to be grabbing the date of the post
from the filename, and then displaying that date. Not what I was expecting. I
was able to fix this by adding a specific date field to the front matter of the
blog entry and regenerating. Looks better now. However, it did change the
generated filename and thus the URL to the specific blog entry, but the old
ones are still present on the website so I think it is OK. Something to be
aware of for next time. I updated the instructions.