I agree that this is, and will be, confusing.  It was confusing today in our
own discussions in our own team (who are, in general, fairly Cordova savvy) to
be talking about the Android store issue related to "Cordova 3.5.1".  E.g. what
did it mean to be talking about "Cordova 3.5.1", and what would a user need to
do to get the fix?  What I took away was that a user would need  Cordova CLI
3.5.0-0.2.7.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me that was wrong...

Anyway, a completely different (and possibly immediately dismissible) idea.
What if a Cordova CLI version number was the same as the highest version number
of the platforms supported by that Cordova CLI version.  E.g. if the latest
highest platform version was Android 3.5.1, then the Cordova CLI version would
be 3.5.1.  The supported other-platform version might be lower - e.g. Windows
3.4.2 (totally made up version number...).

That doesn't instantly solve all problems.  What if the next platform release
after Android 3.5.1 was Windows 3.4.3?  Cordova CLI can't remain at the highest
version number.  So would Cordova CLI become 3.5.2 or 3.5.1-1?  Should the
Windows release be 3.5.2? Are there a specific set of features associated with
a specific platform major version number?  It seems that a platform release
named 3.x.y is expected to have a certain set of features implemented.  Is a
platform release named 3.4.x expected to have a certain set of features and a
platform named 3.5.x expected to have those features plus some additional
feature?

In general, what can a user expect these version numbers to mean.  E.g. if I as
an app developer want to use a particular recently added feature on multiple
platforms, how do I determine which versions of which platforms support the
feature and which Cordova CLI version gives me what I want?

Sorry, but it is confusing...

Leo