I'd also recommend hooks for now.

<json-file> tag sounds potentially more resilient to change, but since you
have to explicitly reference the path to target I don't think its any
better in practice.

Additionally, we've expressed interest in replacing our xml based configs
with json manifests, and while that work may not be in a hurry, it seems
counterproductive to extend the scope of plugin/app configs right now.

-Michal