When I build default app template I see the following error (no such problem w/
3.6.3):

Missing icon
Command finished with error code 1:

Adding <icon src="img/icon.png" /> to config.xml fixes the problem

Looks like this is due to the following logic:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-ubuntu/blob/master/bin/templates/project/cordova/lib/manifest.js#L46

Detailed trace:

sg@acer:~/app$ cordova platforms
Installed platforms: ubuntu 4.0.0
..
sg@acer:~/app$ sudo cordova build ubuntu -d
missing icon element in config.xml
missing icon element in config.xml
Generating config.xml from defaults for platform "ubuntu"
Calling plugman.prepare for platform "ubuntu"
Preparing ubuntu project
Processing configuration changes for plugins.
Iterating over installed plugins: []
Writing out cordova_plugins.js...
missing icon element in config.xml
Running command: /home/sg/app/platforms/ubuntu/cordova/build
Building Desktop Application...
Missing icon
Command finished with error code 1: /home/sg/app/platforms/ubuntu/cordova/build
Error: /home/sg/app/platforms/ubuntu/cordova/build: Command failed with exit
code 1
    at ChildProcess.whenDone
(/usr/share/cordova-cli/node_modules/cordova-lib/src/cordova/superspawn.js:135:23)
    at ChildProcess.EventEmitter.emit (events.js:98:17)
    at maybeClose (child_process.js:743:16)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (child_process.js:810:5)

Thx!
-Sergey