Indeed.  Tools have a "pinned" version which they prefer to install by
default (so that we can be confident about compatibility).  You can try
"cordova platform add android@3.7.0" to be explicit about the new version,
and the tooling release next week will update the default pin.

Pinning may go away in the future, but for now it helps us release with
confidence.