FYI since its perhaps relevant to npm transition (from npm weekly notes):

"We will also be changing the behavior of peerDependencies in npm@3. We
won’t be automatically downloading the peer dependency anymore. Instead,
we’ll warn you if the peer dependency isn’t already installed. This
requires you to resolve peerDependency conflicts yourself, manually, but in
the long run this should make it less likely that you’ll end up in a tricky
spot with your packages’ dependencies."

-Michal