I don't think this is a good idea, but I'm open to be convinced.

However, cannot we punt this discussion for now?  The current phase 1
rollout does not actually have us installing plugins to node_modules, so
really this is an independant feature request to create a new workflow.  I
don't see the benefit for this reason alone.  I think supporting plugins /
platforms / tolling inside node_modules *is* a good idea, but I think it
should look even more radically different (can demo some ideas next
Hangout).

-Michal