Great enthusiasm!

Mark is currently at ApacheCon and then taking a few vacation days, so I'm
not sure if he will answer this quickly.  Figured I'd chime in for now.

I think that exactly as you say, the PlatformProject work was started by
experiment I think came out of discussions on how best to move out the
platform parsers (search ML for "Move platform parsers from CLI to
platforms" started by Steven Gill).

I also emphasize earlier points that these are experiments and are totally
open for re-design.  I don't have concrete steps to propose for going
forward, but sounds like you already have some good ideas.

Another topic that came out of discussion at Hangout was to create a
cleaner cordova-lib-core, still leaving it within the cordova-lib repo.
High-level strawman suggests this core would not do various input parsing
or make any assumptions about project directory structure, but would have a
very strict and simple interface, which various higher levels use to do
with it what they will.

-Michal