I think the only place sticky channels are used is for startup events
(deviceready, nativeready, pluginsready, etc). I think you could probably
change them to fire multiple times without breaking too much, but the
semantics of that seem really strange to me (fire the most recent event, or
all events? upon registering, but only to the newly added listener(s))

They are not based on any standard, so it might be nice not to use them,
and instead use standard events (e.g. cordova.fireWindowEvent). As long as
we promise not to fire them until after deviceready, apps should be able to
register listeners reliably.

One other data point for this is that I dealt with the as-a-service vs.
as-a-launch in
https://github.com/MobileChromeApps/cordova-plugin-background-app. In this
model, I set a property before each resume / deviceready that can be
queried to find out the app's state. Could possibly do similar for intents
(but would need an event as well since they can come at any time, not just
on start-up)