Welcome Arun
Go Wolfpack !! I also did my masters at NCSU

You can start here:
http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/ContributorWorkflow

also committer workflow might be interesting for you since you are going to
dedicate time
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/committer-workflow.md

Let use know what area you want to focus, and we can point you to the
correct repo, we have many to contribute