First sorry for my stupid questions :-)

Why do we need to mess with this versionCode?

How a native developer creating a new Android App today using Android
Studio and gradle handle this?
Should that help us determined how it should work for Cordova Apps?

Can we come with a similar system, or no system, or it's user space where
they can put a version code they want to use in config.xml in conjunction
with of the version string (i.e. 1.0.0) that they are already using in.