Just realized the Dev list was dropped from the last email, so I am reposting
so others might also benefit.

===

Create a new cordova app , add android, and recreate the issue.
Once you have done that, you can open the project at /platforms/android in
android studio and debug the error.
Fix it in place, and when you are satisfied copy your changes back to you
android fork.
Verify with your repro app and android fork by doing a :
Cordova platform rm android
Cordova platform add path-to-android-fork
Cordova run android

Be sure you have copied all your changes back to your fork before you do the
platform rm !!!

Bonus points: add a test to prove the issue is fixed, and doesn't resurface.