OK, I read the PR, and I'll admit that I misunderstood part of the
problem.  I have a few concerns about this change:

1. Why does Android need to have a PR at all? The splashscreen plugin can
use edit-config tag to change the manifest to add the theme, which it
really should anyway and the XML files can be copied by the plugin.xml.
2. The bug refers to the flicker, which I haven't seen in quite a while,
but can be attributed to the splashscreen disappearing at the wrong time
and the WebView not being made visible or not rendering properly.  CB-12099
explicitly refers to the weird behaviour of the SplashScreenDelay not
actually being followed, which is why I made my initial comment. It's not
its own bug, but a part of CB-12099
3. I'm not sure why we need the prepare step and why the drawable's colour
can't be changed programmatically in Java instead of pulling it from the
config.xml in prepare.js, which isn't guaranteed to work in earlier
versions of Cordova.

I know this seems like more work, but I think it's possible to do this
without having to change the Plugin API for Splashscreen, also doing so
will also work on existing versions of Cordova, and this fix would probably
consist of a major version bump, because the new splashscreen wouldn't work
on the old versions of Cordova-Android.