Github user khawkins commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/cordova-ios/pull/289

    You are correct: the support added here would only enable the consumption
of the Cordova iOS dependency itself from Carthage, at this point.  Or maybe
more accurately, it's the first step in enabling that support—we haven't yet
verified if Carthage support will have additional requirements.

    With regards to an "add Cordova plugins easily" requirement, it seems like
the native side of those plugins would probably be best delivered through the
dependency manager in play.  I.e. have a CocoaPods configuration for your
plugin, or Carthage, or both.

    Seems like the challenge would come in with the non-native pieces of the
plugin, such as JS, and configuration.  This could possibly be streamlined to a
degree with post-install script(s) referenced in the Podfile, with CocoaPods.
But Carthage is pretty bare bones—to my knowledge, it only supports the
download and build of dependencies in a strictly Xcode-based paradigm.  Seems
like that could be a lot more challenging to wrangle post-build configuration
against the app that's installing the dependency.

    To me, it seems like it all points to needing an amended CLI that
understands/interrogates the nuances of an existing app project/workspace,
whereas the current CLI is very much about orchestrating that workspace itself.
 But that of course has ramifications on other platforms, etc.  Anyway, just
some thoughts out loud—it's definitely a challenging problem to consider.

---
with INFRA.
---