Just created an issue for swapping to cordovaDependency from engine.

I agree that we should switch the behavior to fail. It would need to be a
major version of cordova. Chatted with Shaz & Simon and decided it would
make sense to add a flag to current cordova that allows plugin add to fail
if the dependency fails. So cordova@7 the default behavior will be skip the
plugin or dep that doesn't satisfy the requirement and fail will be behind
a flag. Once we hit cordova@8, we can swap the behavior so fail is default
and skip is behind the flag.

I will update https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-12122 with this
proposal.