I think we could do a better job with our guide at [1] which we need to
update anyway with all the github issues going on now.
The Apache site also has some really good text on lazy-consensus [2]

Ultimately though, I think it comes down to all of us just doing it.  If
someone shows up on this list, and we are all following a clear process, it
is probably pretty easy to jump in.

[1] https://cordova.apache.org/contribute/contribute_guidelines.html
[2] http://community.apache.org/committers/index.html

@purplecabbage