A really nice alternative may be to turn the generated
package-lock.json into npm-shrinkwrap.json (using npm shrinkwrap
command) then commit npm-shrinkwrap.json. Then I think any other npm
install updates would update npm-shrinkwrap.json instead of
package-lock.json. Could be more predictable and easier to understand.

This was already discussed in 2014 [1], thanks to Jesse for the link in [2].

Thanks for the suggestion to use npm shrinkwrap as a solution for
cordova-cli 8.1.0 minor release in [2].

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/99184622129935eb473e843e583bf6648faff279a014e8508cc2c660@1411013202@%3Cdev.cordova.apache.org%3E

[2]