> Why not put these repos under your own brodybits user?

Done

> React and React Native both solve
> this problem effectively already,

Agreed, will address below.

> > Can you provide some screenshots (or include in the demo README) so
> > one can see how it looks?

https://github.com/brodybits/cordova-native-demo/blob/dev/README.md#screenshots

Please keep in mind that I am a cross-platform *developer*, **not** a designer.

> What does webpack and the local webserver do - build Syr.js into a
> package that can be used in the Cordova app?

Webpack is used to convert the JavaScript (which is JSX) into a
JavaScript bundle that can be run on the WebView.

The local webserver basically serves the JavaScript bundle that can be
run on the emulator. This is very similar to how React Native works
during development. I think the most important TODO item is to get rid
of the local webserver and just run JavaScript from the www assets.

> > How does it work? I see it is based on a "fork" of Syr.js that adds a
> > Cordova plugin?

Yes I basically wrapped the existing Syr.js core into a Cordova plugin.

> > What does webpack and the local webserver do - build Syr.js into a
> > package that can be used in the Cordova app?

Webpack is used to convert the JavaScript (which is JSX) into a
JavaScript bundle that can be run on the WebView.

The local webserver basically serves the JavaScript bundle that can be
run on the emulator. This is very similar to how React Native works
during development. I think the most important TODO item is to get rid
of the local webserver and just run JavaScript from the www assets.

Here are some more general notes:

This plugin can definitely be considered an experimental proof of
concept, very far from pre-alpha quality. Future ideas include
splitting the native part into smaller parts and making it work with
Capacitor framework as well.

Here are the major benefits I think this idea can demonstrate with
respect to React Native:

* Ability for a team to start with well-known Cordova framework, no
need for special talent, and transition to native GUI views in a
gradual manner

* Smaller size

Most of the native part seems to be view management, would be nice to
make it more generic somehow.