I too face the same issue.
I have a large file - between 100 MB and 300MB which I need to download and
save in the local file system (SQLite database file that I don't want to split).
When using regular angular/ionic http client on iOS the app crashes to the
"white screen of death".
Using this plugin solves this issue and currently there's no replacement.
More info can be found on an open issue here (which suggested the
flie-transfer-plugin as a solution):
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-file/issues/364
It might be that solving this issue will allow to truly migrate out of
file-transfer-plugin but until then I don't see a replacement so this plugin
can't be deprecated.
I guess there's also an option to facilitate this behavior in the file-plugin
by adding another interface method to allow downloading a file directly to the
file system without loading it into the webview memory, I don't know, your call
I guess...