Any thoughts as to how (or even if) this tree-wise result aggregation
would work for externals?

I'm thinking specifically about couchdb-lucene, where multi-node
results aggregation is possible, given a framework like you propose
here. The results that couchdb-lucene produces can already be
aggregated, assuming there's a hook for the merge function (actually,
perhaps it's exactly reduce-shaped)...

B.