I'm not entirely clear what level of user auth is being addressed here.

On the one hand, there's the system-level sense of a user that traditional
databases have: i.e. something equivalent to a UNIX user account, but in the
database, which has to be created by an admin and can then be granted
table-level access and various administrative rights (create user, create
database, create table).

On the other hand, there's the application-level sense of user: i.e. a
record in a users table, which is given access or not given access to
database records via the web application stack at a higher level, which sits
between the database and the client's web browser (or whatever).

The current CouchDB notion of admin user seems to fall into the former
category, while what most applications need falls into the latter category.
One irritation of all application-level authentication schemes I've ever
encountered is that the database does not give you any support for
application-level user auth. If CouchApps are really going to be feasible,
CouchDB (clearly) needs to solve the application-level user authentication
problem.

My sense is that the goal is to somehow merge the two senses of database
user, and thereby cleave the Gordian knot in two. Is that sense correct?