Hi Noah,

On 08/05/2009 10:38 PM, Noah Slater wrote:
I've been maintaining the Debian package of CouchDB for a while now:

   http://packages.debian.org/sid/couchdb

Many thanks for your work on Debian and CouchDB so far, it's been a huge help in allowing me and others (including the communities of all Debian derivatives) to make use of CouchDB easily.

I don't have the free time to devote to my work with Debian at the moment, and
I'm looking to hand my packages over for team maintenance in the interim. For
CouchDB, that means giving it to the Erlang team. I was wondering if there were
any folk on our lists who would be interested in helping out?

I see Jim and Sam have responded also, wonderful! I saw that the Debian Erlang packagers team was just you and one other persion, so I have just joined the Erlang team mailing list and volunteered to help with Erlang packages generally. I'm not yet a Debian Developer, but would like to earn that role.

CouchDB 0.9.1 has not been package yet, so that would be the first task.

I will have time to work on this specific task tomorrow while I am in the airport. Sam, Jim, have you already started on this? If so I would be happy to review any work you have done. If not, I'm happy to prepare the package or to help test the package if you prefer to create it.

Noah, I know that in Ubuntu we had made some permissions changes in the packaging for couchdb to enable per-user couchdb instances to be started in Ubuntu. Are there other changes that you know are pending for the package? Does preparing the 0.9.1 release involve anything else other than the normal process for generating a source package for a new upstream release? Once I have a source package that I have been able to build in a pbuilder and test, what is the process for getting a sponsor to upload to debian?

I really really appreciate you handing over package maintenance in such an organized way, and I hope that this allows you more time to focus on your other valuable work.

cheers,
-elliot