On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Joshua Bronson <jabron...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Joshua Bronson <jabron...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I just learned from Jan in #couchdb that 0.10 can read the 0.9 views also
>> after running a simple migration to shift the header in the view file
>>

> It looks like this code is already written and committed! By Damien it
> looks like. But apparently something is going wrong because when 0.10 reads
> a 0.9 view, a rebuild is caused rather than a simple header rewrite.
> Ticketed at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-616.

Just wanted to send an update: Since our disk is steadily filling up and
there's been no progress yet with #616, we're going to give
http://github.com/kocolosk/couchdb/tree/0.9.2-and-view-compaction a shot.
Hopefully we still have enough space to hold the compacted views alongside
the uncompacted ones while compaction is in progress. If not, we'll just
have to delete and rebuild them while our site is down. :(

Looking forward to seeing some work on view space and time
efficiency<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-623>,
and contributing as much as I can.