Hey Noah,

anything I can do to clear this up, or better explain what I (or well,
"we" want)?

Here's a rundown:

./configure --couchdb-user=root \
--couchdb-stdout-file=/my/log/file/for/stdout \
--couchdb-stderr-file=/my/log/file/for/stderr \
--couchdb-respawn-timeout=10 \
--couchdb-pidfile=/home/till/noah.pid

... essentially, this would populate /etc/defaults/couchdb.

Till