On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 04:02, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Still confused. A couchapp developer shouldn't require any sort of
> configuration because that's not under their control. For a couchapp
> to be couchappy, its going to be barred from *requiring* such
> configuration or it'll never work on the wide number of clients that
> would be expected to host them as Chris points out.

Indeed. However I think in practice, couch app developers demand that the
URL looks reasonable. Benoit mentioned that vhost and _rewrite are already
becoming very popular with developers.

For my curiosity, what happens when a vhost setting is wrong? Ie, Bob
> set a vhost to be blog.gene.com which should really go to Gene's
> couch? Or when there's no vhost set at all? Or when a request comes
> into a vhost that's unknown?

There is a pattern to handle that. Bob has a canonical address,
bob.service.com, assigned at signup.

Bob can add whatever vhost he wants. However service.com will only honor
those for which a DNS query returns a CNAME back to bob.service.com. Since
bob cannot modify DNS records in gene.com, he cannot steal blog.gene.com.

--
Jason Smith
Couchio Hosting