Assuming it's straightforward to extend OTP-style process monitoring
to external processes (and I'm assuming that the couchjs processes are
so monitored today) then I like the proposal to add both of these
things.

My obvious motivation is couchdb-lucene so, with that hat on, would
this mechanism obviate the need for start couchdb-lucene externally
and make the Python hook script obsolete? I think it does. Finally,
there are cases where c-l users might wish to locate their c-l server
on a different box, so we should allow the proxying independently of
the launch-on-demand-and-keep-me-running bit.

B.