I think the problem with patches is that they can become unwieldy, .eg. which
couch version plus which set of patches are bundled? There is also the issue of
support and bug triage. A released version has some sort of implicit support
offered by the publisher of the release, whereas a collection of patches are
provided by the bundler of the software.

It's not to say patches aren't useful, they are, but they are better employed
for exceptional circumstances and supported by the original publisher. Database
vendors often do this.

I haven't followed all the specific dependency issues closely but it strikes me
that the state of development of these various projects makes the "canonical"
github approach mentioned earlier preferable.