As far as I can remember, the motivation behind list_to_existing_atom
was not the fact that list_to_atom pollutes the atoms table during
normal operation. However, it won't prevent atom table pollution when
something goes wrong or somebody goes malicious (i.e., DoS attack).

I've just looked it up for you, the exact description is here:

- Klaus