Nathan,

I'll clarify what I can for the bits I know about. One important part
of Bigcouch is to be API compatible with couchdb. Obviously there are
some places where this must break down (say, controlling sharding and
r/w/n consistency) but to a large degree, we succeed at that. It's
also straightforward to test it out locally ('make dev', just like
couchdb ). I can't speak for Couchbase, will have to see when it comes
out.

So, to your technical points, as best I can tell, you shouldn't expect
to have a harder time using or testing these products, they should
work well together.

Finally, I cannot reveal how many magic ponies we use in the creation
of Bigcouch, but I can assure you that they are all ethically treated.

B.