On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 6 Jun 2011, at 16:32, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> To reiterate some points. Tony Stevenson tells me the infrastructure
>> policy is, "We expect PMcs to only keep 1 copy of each branch/major
>> version, anything else should be archived."
>
> Where did he tell you this? Is it on a mailing list somewhere? My concern
> here is that the official Apache policy is actually decidedly vague on the
> matter. Which I have always interpreted as being quite intentional, so that
> projects can decide for themselves what the policy should be.

This was a discussion on IRC to double check that I had not
misinterpreted anything in the policy at [1] or the various emails
that have been traded around the various lists from infrastructure
that spawned this thread.

>> I have been instructed to
>> specifically remove 0.11.0, 0.11.1, and 1.0.1 from the dist directory
>> under threat of cattle prod and apparently cuddle kitties.
>
> Again, where?
>
> This stuff should be happening on the mailing lists.

It is on mailing lists. The original email from Mark Thomas to the
infrastructure@ and pmcs@ lists had some specific examples of what it
is they're expecting.

> I agree that this makes sense, but I have been concerned for a while that in
> doing so, there maybe be certain circumstances where some technical detail
> means that not providing a smooth bugfix upgrade path may cause problems.
> That was one of the primary things I was hoping to clarify by starting this
> discussion.

I think you're being overly concerned about upgrade paths. These
versions are still in the archive if someone needs access to them. I'm
not currently aware of any upgrade path that requires having any of
the old bug release versions. And if there is then we really messed up
somewhere...

> Anyone see a problem with this?

Not sure what this is referring to.

>> As to what's listed in downloads.html I'll leave that to the bike
>> shedding except to point out there's no policy I know of that prevents
>> us from linking to the archived versions.
>
> These two things are the same. The policy is that the downloads.html page
> must link through to the mirrors, to reduce the load on the Apache servers.
> So whatever we remove from the dist directory needs to be removed from this
> page.

I've not seen that policy. If it is, then so be it.

The bottom line is that we've been told many times that we need to
remove these old bug fix versions unless there's a very specific
reason to keep them. I know of no reason to keep them. If someone can
point at a specific reason that they need to be kept then that is a
different issue.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#when-to-archive

P.S. If you read that link previous to about five minutes ago you'll
want to re-read it.