On Jun 21, 2011, at 11:24 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Robert Dionne
> <dio...@dionne-associates.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Paul, was just going to respond about /rel
>>
>> My two cents:
>>
>> I think what would be nice is to enable the use of rebar in downstream
>> projects, that are built on top of couchdb. I've been able to keep my
>> bitstore[1] hack pretty much in sync with a given
>> couchdb version with some simple tweaks in the Makefile.
>>
>> What would be ideal is to add couchdb as a dependency in rebar.config and
>> type ./config and have it pull couchdb 1.0 or 1.5.6 or whatever.
>>

> You mean ./configure in the downstream project, yeah?

yes, basically ./rebar get-deps

>> If this can be done so that couchdb is still usable and build-able as a
>> standalone tool, using the  existing autotools, without turning it into a
>> hairball, then that would be real sweet, kudos
>> to the brave soul that pulls that off.
>>
>> In theory bigcouch could also work that way, though bigcouch is technically
>> a fork of couchdb as it requires a few tweaks to make couchdb a distributed
>> database.
>>

> I'm confused. Are you advocating a full on switch to rebar?

No, sorry to be vague here, not at all. For standalone couchdb the auto-tools
does a bit more in terms of dealing with platforms, though if I recall it was a
royal pain to get all the dependencies down. I'm merely advocating to make life
easier for downstream users. What I meant by referring to bigcouch is that it
does a bit more than just embedding couchdb (a few places make clustered calls
to fabric .eg.)

If couchdb followed the ebin/src/include conventions that would probably be
half the battle