The only platform I know of where git works less than brilliantly is
Windows, which ones are you struggling with?

It's unusual to have a situation where http and https are blocked but
the svn port is not. Not really sure what to suggest. A big reason
that git has an http and https transport is to work with (or 'around',
if you're so inclined) proxies and firewalls.

B.