Feel free to disregard this as irrelevant as I am pretty ignorant about the
history involved but I am interested in why spidermonkey is not packaged
inside of CouchDB as a few of the other dependancies are.

Every time I build Couch on a new machine linking against spidermonkey
breaks in some way, in IRC its a problem that developers are hitting
constantly, not only that but we have 'issues' between various different
versions of spidermonkey itself.

It seems like its by far the biggest problem building couch, and although
binary distributions would be awesome, it would also be nice to have
couchdb as easy to build as possible (outside problems linking against
spidermonkey it does very well)

Cheers
Dale