Thanks for the response Bob.

Yes, it's good to consider BigCouch too. As you mention, I don't think
there's any confusion there either. I don't have any problem with products
based on CouchDB, or that work with CouchDB, taking the "Couch" name. Or in
fact, companies such as BigCouch or IrisCouch taking "Couch" to indicate
that they are providing a CouchDB "value add."

But I think the combination of factors I outlined in my original post come
together to create quite a bit of confusion around Couchbase. It is
unfortunate that their product is no longer compatible with CouchDB, and it
is even more unfortunate that CouchDB's  progenitor left the CouchDB
project because "Couchbase is the future of CouchDB."

I am not sure how to remedy that, beyond asking Damien to publicly take
back his words, and join us again on the project. Which obviously isn't
going to happen. Or asking Couchbase to change their name to better
communicate the split, and to fairly differentiate Damien's new direction,
and their CouchDB-like product from ours. Which seems much more reasonable.