>Where I believe we've failed (or, if you prefer, not yet succeeded) is
>communicating this information to the public.

Absolutely (speaking as member of that public)

I'm starting to use Couch in production and can learn a huge amount from
threads like this ... is there a 'best practice' guide to setting up and
tuning your couchdb for production anywhere on the wiki? It would be great
if I could visit the wiki, type best practice into the search box and then
get a page of useful information like this that points me to where problems
can arise and how to mitigate them before they are an issue.

Perhaps if someone knowledgable started the wiki page, that would encourage
others to chip in and flesh it out.

Roger