Can you do a test for me? Please, open an Erlang shell (erl) in tests/
directory (hopefully you will still have the test_util.beam file) and
copy-paste these lines (exit with CTRL+g and q<Enter>):

l(test_util).
test_util:init_code_path().
test_util:config_files().
l(couch_config).
couch_config:start_link(test_util:config_files()).
l(couch_drv).
couch_drv:start_link().

Your result should look like this:

1> l(test_util).
{module,test_util}
2> test_util:init_code_path().
ok
3> test_util:config_files().
["/usr/etc/couchdb/default.ini",
 "<path_to_tests_dir>/random_port.ini",
 "/usr/etc/couchdb/local.ini"]
4> l(couch_config).
{module,couch_config}
5> couch_config:start_link(test_util:config_files()).
{ok,<0.38.0>}
6> l(couch_drv).
{module,couch_drv}
7> couch_drv:start_link().
{ok,<0.41.0>}

where <path_to_local_dir> should be the same set COUCHDB_TEST_ETAP_PATH and
the same with the result of pwd (considering you are still in tests
directory). Let me know the output, please.

CGS