I believe the default configuration of "make install" will install in
/usr/local. If you have files in /etc (instead of /usr/local/etc), then It
sounds like there is a system-installed couchdb package.

One way to test is to run "make dev" and then you can launch CouchDB from
the source tree without installing by running "./utils/run". Make sure any
system-wide couchdb is stopped. The configuration files will be in
"etc/couchdb" in the source tree after building.