My preference is that we keep packaging out of couchdb.git. I have seen on
other projects that source releases have to be cancelled mid-vote because
of some bug in the Debian packaging. Our releases are painful enough, so
I'd rather avoid this.

What I'd suggest is that you request a new Git repos and put in there. We
could have couchdb-deb.git, couchdb-rpm.git, couchdb-win.git,
couchdb-mac.git. Whatever really. Git repos are cheep!

If you want to request one, just send an email to the list with a
[PROPOSAL] tag (i.e. "This is a concrete proposal with consensus in effect
and a 72 hour time limit") wait 72 hours, and then open an Infra JIRA
ticket.

(Good to have you on the list, Laszlo. Are you also subscribed to
annou...@couchdb.apache.org? We will only use that for release
announcements and security disclosures.)

--
NS