On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org> wrote:
> Note: there's a blocking bug against the new "configurable whitelist
> of user document properties" which needs to be either resolved, marked
> "won't fix", or the current work on master needs reverting.

I'm distchecking my way through
1334-revert-feature-view-server-pipelining and
https://github.com/adamlofts/couchdb/tree/1493-fix-zerobyte-json-parsing.

For #1838, am I correctly understanding the problem if I say that
nothing is changed as long as the newly configurable whitelist is
enabled by hand? I.e. _user documents only become readable once
someone has touched the whitelist?

If so, my instinct is to solve this by documenting the problem (both
in the changelog and in relevant other sections of the docs) and
leaving the rest for a future release. That seems reasonable because
the onus would be on the person enabling the whitelist to read some
documentation before doing so (and they'd have to actually found the
feature first). This way of doing it also helps because I can solve it
myself and won't be blocked by others who need to fix the security
problem. However, if someone is ready to jump in and fix the problem
(assuming we have a fix strategy in place that would satisfy
everyone!), that might be better.

How does that sound to others?

I should note that I'm due to leave on Thursday for 10 days with no
(or very limited) connectivity. So I'm afraid someone (Noah, Robert?)
might have to take over at some point. Still, I'll do my best to drive
the process forward for the remaining days, so I leave as little work
as possible to any successor.

Sorry again for being so slow with this. Figuring out my way to the
release process, in particular changing it to deal with changelog.rst
rather than NEWS and CHANGES, has been rather more time-intensive than
I thought, and I've had a few hectic weeks due to other stuff.

Cheers,

Dirkjan