GitHub user JensRantil opened a pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/124

    Expose free disk space for databases and indexes

    Three use cases:
    * To easily hook up monitoring tools to a database.
    * To enable triggering compaction using an external source based on disk
usage.
    * To make it make it easier for automatic replication/sharding
orchestration mechanisms to make good decisions on how to balance/move data.

    The last of these use cases was what triggered me into coming up with this
pull request.

    Counter arguments against this pull request (that I can come up with):
    * Security: One might not want to expose the available disk space to the
internet. Do you think I should make this information hidable using an option?
    * Dependence on a(nother?) system call when checking status of databases
and/or indexes.
    * This information can be extracted using mechanisms outside of CouchDB,
such as `ssh machine df -h`.

    I'd love to hear your input.

    $ git pull https://github.com/JensRantil/couchdb expose-free-space

    https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/124.patch

----
commit d842b7a8eb072df890aa63a91fe846cf60f77ed5
Author: Jens Rantil <jens.ran...@gmail.com>
Date:   2013-12-27T22:04:59Z

    Moving `free_space` to `couch_util` module

    This is a preparatory commit to expose free disk space where databases
    and views resides.

commit 1c1eb40856fa0d06348bfd2ec53d4c37b232566a
Author: Jens Rantil <jens.ran...@gmail.com>
Date:   2013-12-27T22:24:01Z

    Expose disk free for a database

    The availability is exposed through `/{db}`.

commit 9f5c78a63d41d35e746d54b1774662cdd8f277e9
Author: Jens Rantil <jens.ran...@gmail.com>
Date:   2013-12-27T22:30:58Z

    Expose disk free for database indexes

    This is done through `/{db}/_design/{ddoc}/_info`.

----