Hey CouchDB community,

Last year I coordinated GSoC for CouchDB, albeit at the last minute. This year
I won’t have time to do this but I am hoping somebody else in the community is
keen to do the coordination. Note that there’s no programming involved in
simply organising this. Having a couple of people would be perfect.

Uli’s mail follows, feel free to reply or contact me offline about this if
needed.

A+
Dave

Google Summer of Code [1] is celebrating it’s tenth year and we at Apache
hopefully our tenth year of participation. In order to also make this year a
success for you and your project, we now need your help.

The ASF will apply as a participating organization meaning individual projects
don't have to apply separately.

If you want to participate with your project you have to do the following
things by no later than 2014-02-10 19:00 UTC

- understand what it means to be a mentor [2].

- record your project ideas. Just create issues in JIRA, label them with
gsoc2014, and they will show up at [3]. Please be as specific as possible when
describing your idea. Include the programming language, the tools and skills
required, but try not to scare potential students away. They are supposed to
learn what's required before the program starts. Use labels, e.g. for the
programming language (java, c, c++, erlang, python, brainfuck, ...) or
technology area (cloud, xml, web, foo, bar, ...) and record them at [5]. Please
use the COMDEV JIRA project for recording your ideas if your project doesn't
use JIRA (e.g. httpd, ooo). Contact d...@community.apache.org if you need
assistance. [4] contains some additional information.

- subscribe to ment...@community.apache.org (this used to be the
potential mentors, meant to be used as a private list - general discussions on
the public d...@community.apache.org list as much as possible please). Use a
recognized address when subscribing (@apache.org or one of your alias addresses
on record).

Note that the ASF isn't accepted yet, nevertheless you *have to* start
recording your ideas now or we might not get accepted.

Over the years we were able to complete hundreds of projects successfully. Some
of our prior students are active contributors now! Let's make this tenth year a
success again!

Uli Stärk