On 28 April 2014 21:28, Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> The PMC would like to move forward towards establishing an Apache CouchDB
> Developer Code of Conduct (CoC for short). To make that happen, we need your
> help.
>
> We do not at this time have a specific text proposal.  We'd like to open that
> up to contributions from the developer community. Examples of CoCs from other
> projects that you feel are well-crafted would be most welcome.

Thanks Joan & others who have contributed already. I fully support
this initiative!

All of the CoC posted so far have value in them, I'm looking forwards
to the remix. After a few days, should we (I can) collate these
together?

3 suggestions:

- Address how we make progress & decisions

Consensus (not to be confused with unaniminity) needs to be supported,
in both the role of shepherding the discussion appropriately, as well
as in respectful contribution. I think we can do a much better job of
this, eg clarify how we ensure that dissension doesn't stop moving the
code forwards.

- Policy must be seen to be applied, and consistently.

An observation is that inappropriate behaviour needs to be seen to be
corrected, or at least recognised as such. As we are fundamentally an
online community, that can be painful to do (I recall mine), but I
believe it's necessary.  That can be sufficient as a reminder (reply)
but doesn't need to be a disciplinary action.

If we simply avoid that behaviour then it is not easy for others to
see that we actually don't condone it. The real-world example is that
crime decreases in areas where police are consistently visible, even
in the absence of any additional/actual law enforcement activity. It's
not enough to remind behind the scenes when the line is demonstrably
crossed, it needs to be seen to be respected.

[I'm welcome to be persuaded otherwise BTW, if the consensus is opposite]

WRT to Noah's suggestion of having a response procedure that is
useful. I would imagine most cases will simply need a reminder of the
appropriate CoC section, and optionally a timeouts or cool-off period
- especially related to escalating discussions that are not
approaching resolution. I'm thinking hours/days here rather than
weeks/months/years BTW -- I could do with being reminded of that
sometimes.

My favourite examples so far are the django (per DJC's comments) and
debian-2014 one (general sage advice).

A+
Dave