From: "Klaus Trainer" <klaus_trai...@posteo.de>
To: dev@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2014 1:28:04 PM
Subject: Re: On the Viability of Erlang Releases and CouchDB

Thanks Russell for this well-founded writeup!  This really helps a lot
in understanding that matter.  Your suggestion of making specific
recommendations regarding certain combinations of CouchDB and Erlang/OTP
 sounds reasonable in that context.

> The narrowness of the acceptable releases list is going to cause some
> problems. Debian Wheezy runs R15B01, which as established above, is
> not good to run with unless you have the `+sfwi` patch, and I'm sure
> there are many other distros running R15 and R16B or R16B01. I think
> it would be useful to users to have a set of packages with a proper
> Erlang CouchDB release allowing us to bless specific versions of
> Erlang and bundle it together, but I know this idea goes against the
> recent change in stance on working with distributions, and I don't
> know the ASF stance on this issue well enough to comment on the
> legality of it. That said, it does seem like the logical approach
> until we get a range of stable releases spread out through the
> distros.

We already do provide binary packages with Erlang/OTP and CouchDB
bundled together (see http://couchdb.apache.org/#download) :)

Speaking of proper CouchDB OTP-releases: I don't see any conflict (or
potential conflict) regarding "the recent change in stance on working
with distributions".  We can both have OTP-releases (finally having them
will be great after all), while still being supportive of distributors
when they want to create their own distribution-specific package.