Hi All,

I really like the idea of returning an error message about it being slow along
with a helpful url. I don’t really like the idea of a `slow` or `developer`
flag for the actual query, I think that will add some confusion.

Cheers
Garren

> On 11 Jan 2016, at 8:55 PM, Tony Sun <tony.sun...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Robert,
>
>    Building upon what others have stated above, what do you think about
> the following:
>
>    1) Let the user query without creating an index
>    2) Return an error message with a new url that has
> "slow/no_index/developer":true appended at the end. The message clearly
> explains that this query will be slow, and that creating an index will be
> more efficient. However, he or she can continue. The error message will
> then have a link to point to our documentation.
>    3) In Fauxton, there is a checkbox or button that also appends the
> "slow/no_index/developer":true to the _find url. If the user clicks it,
> then the same message pops up to notify the user.
>

> Tony
>

> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Eli Stevens (Gmail) <wickedg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Just wanted to chime in here as a user - I've run into similar
>> behavior from CouchDB with the reduce-not-reducing-enough heuristic,
>> where stuff I was working on went smoothly in dev, but stopped once
>> real load was pushed through it (thankfully for me, that was in
>> testing, rather than released to customers).
>>
>> It's a frustrating experience, and I don't think that a reputation for
>> "works until you cross a threshold, and then it doesn't, but only in
>> production" is a good thing to move towards.
>>
>> Perhaps something like adding a key to the returned data along the
>> lines of "_slow_warning": "This query is going to be slow on large
>> data sets. See http://..."; in addition to the ?slow_warning=true query
>> param (note that I'm calling it "slow_warning" in both places only to
>> increase discoverability; without the url param, the no-index query
>> wouldn't work at all). Bikeshed the name as needed.
>>
>> I'd like to see a lot more URLs in CouchDB error messages in general,
>> actually - I would find it very useful when trying to determine what's
>> going wrong to have a URL right there in the logs that I can get more
>> information from.
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Robert,
>>>
>>> I've been thinking about this one for the week or so, and I have a
>>> simple suggestion:
>>>
>>>  Add the query parameter slow=true to enable this behaviour.
>>>
>>> This meets all the original requirements:
>>>
>>> 1. It is not default behaviour
>>> 2. You can grep the log files for the word 'slow' and find evidence
>>> 3. There is a shorthand, simple way to enable the behaviour