Hi folks,

some updates regarding the CouchDB CI setup on builds.apache.org.

The CouchDB build job (https://builds.apache.org/job/CouchDB/) has now six variations:

* Ubuntu 14.04 with default Erlang
* Ubuntu 14.04 with Erlang 18.2
* Debian 8 with default Erlang
* Debian 8 with Erlang 18.2
* CentOS 7 with default Erlang
* CentOS 7 with Erlang 18.2

However, builds fail abysmal often.

I need your help to sort this out and improve the build stability.

I wrote some quick scripts to categorize the failing builds. Please check the result here:

https://github.com/basti1302/couchdb-ci/blob/master/utils/analyze-jenkins-logs/ci-errors.markdown

We can ignore the categories "network", "docker" and "aborted". Most failures come from failing enuit tests, either replicator (30 failures) or compression (10 failures).

Why is that? Are these tests inherently fragile? Is it a symptom of a problem with the CI setup (a bug in Docker or something similar)?

Maybe the categorization/root cause analysis is not even correct?

I'd be grateful if people could chime in here.

I really would like to get closer to "a failing build usually means there is a problem in the code"-kind of situation :-)

Best regards

  Bastian