> On 14 Apr 2016, at 23:11, Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Based on this information, are we in violation of ASF requirements? Can
> anyone clarify for me what we actually need to be doing here?

There is no such policy. We are also not bundling SpiderMonkey or Erlang
either. Neither do any of the Java projects bundle e.g. OpenJDK.

The question of whether to have a “safe copy“ to be ensured against
suddenly disappearing upstream is entirely* up to the project, but not
ASF policy.

*upstream dependencies that have dual licensing that includes a GPL
flavour or other incompatible license[1] can’t be mirrored on ASF
source control and distribution servers (that’s why we don’t mirror
SpiderMonkey or Erlang (although we could do Erlang now, that they
switched to ASF 2, but I would not suggest we do this).

[1]: http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

* * *

Personally, with npm’s new unpublish policy[2], I’m okay with having
our dependencies there.

Because of the deep dependency tree, we should be very diligent about
not accidentally including category-x licensed modules. I’m sure we
can automate this into a npm postinstall script, so we know as soon
as possible.

At the very least, we need an audit prior to any release.

[2]: http://blog.npmjs.org/post/141905368000/changes-to-npms-unpublish-policy

Best
Jan