Hi Robert,

thanks for taking the lead on this.

> On 16 Dec 2016, at 19:55, Robert Kowalski <r...@kowalski.gd> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to test the waters regarding a CouchDB 2.1 release. Since 2.0
> a few new features and many bug fixes have landed.
>
> I know its holiday season soon and I wanted to kick off the discussion
> about a release date for 2.0.1 or 2.1.0.

We don’t really need a date, we just need to do the release :)

> One thing that worries me (correct me if I am wrong): I think
> releasing CouchDB depends much on Joan and Jan right now, which is bad
> (bus factor etc).

Not quite for me*:

Current master is always built and published into
http://couchdb.apache.org/release-candidate/2.0/

For to-be-voted-on release-candidate, feel free to take the latest tarball
there and untar, rename the resulting directory into apache-couchdb-x.y.z and
tar up again.

This all is built on http://ci.couchdb.org:8888 — if you sign up, tell me when
you’ve done so, and I can give you admin rights. — The Mac binary is also built
there automatically.

Note that ci.couchdb.org is different from the builds.apache.org run by the
ASF, which we _should_ use, but haven’t gotten around to yet. This is where the
bus factor comes into play, as this is my private Jenkins, which we’ve always
planned to retire, but since we’ve never fully integrated the builds.apache.org
infra into our processes, that hasn’t happened yet. This is something we should
focus on too, but it doesn’t have to hold the release.

> I don't know much about the internals of the build process for our
> releases, but I would volunteer to automate the (jenkins?-)build for
> snaps.

Great! :)

Best
Jan